Sunday, April 03, 2005
That sounds exciting
I won't lie to you, I like when people are impressed by my job. As I was returning a pair of shoes at Dillard's today that I found cheaper at an outlet store, the clerk asked me what I do.
"I work at the Advocate." (so coy)
"What do you do there?"
"I'm a reporter."
"So what do you cover?"
"Mostly crime."
"Wow, that sounds exciting."
Of course, if she knew I made significantly less than her, even before commission, and that I don't turn my air conditioning on during Baton Rogue summers to save money, she might be less impressed.
"I work at the Advocate." (so coy)
"What do you do there?"
"I'm a reporter."
"So what do you cover?"
"Mostly crime."
"Wow, that sounds exciting."
Of course, if she knew I made significantly less than her, even before commission, and that I don't turn my air conditioning on during Baton Rogue summers to save money, she might be less impressed.