Monday, April 11, 2005
Boise Druz
Apparently I'm most comfortable at the far ends of the earth. After starting my career living a hermit's life in rural Nevada County, Calif., I moved to the swamps of South Louisiana. Next stop? Boise. As goes the journalism business I have scratched and clawed my way to a job at The Idaho Statesman (employer of famous photographer Joe Jaszewski) and it's actually a positive move.
I think the most common reaction to news of my move to Boise has been, "Oh, that's in Idaho, right?" and "Hmm, isn't it cold there?" I usually start explaining that no, Boise's actually in the valley so the winters really aren't that ... and then just abandon it all together.
There are many positives about the move, both professionally and lifestyle-wise, if you can believe it. It's a better paper with (from all accounts) stronger editing and, importantly, I'm getting a staff job as opposed to the 2-year internship I'm on right now (which would have ended in October). It certainly doesn't hurt that I'm 30 minutes away from quality snowboarding and mountain biking and that I don't have to deal with the dank, malarial summer of Baton Rouge.
Baton Rouge has, of course, been a total mind-fuck the past year and a half and I wouldn't trade my time here for anything. The crew of young, bright, degenerate journalists that hang out together down here is indescribable and I'm going to be very sad to leave them. I can only hope a similar crew crops up in Boise, or that I can sully enough once-pure young people to roughly recreate my situation.
Fear not, the blog will continue throughout my final few weeks on the bayou (I'm leaving sometime at the end of the month) and will be replaced in Idaho by an as-yet-unnamed blog that will be similarly clever and profane. I'll keep you posted as the Druz World Tour continues.
I think the most common reaction to news of my move to Boise has been, "Oh, that's in Idaho, right?" and "Hmm, isn't it cold there?" I usually start explaining that no, Boise's actually in the valley so the winters really aren't that ... and then just abandon it all together.
There are many positives about the move, both professionally and lifestyle-wise, if you can believe it. It's a better paper with (from all accounts) stronger editing and, importantly, I'm getting a staff job as opposed to the 2-year internship I'm on right now (which would have ended in October). It certainly doesn't hurt that I'm 30 minutes away from quality snowboarding and mountain biking and that I don't have to deal with the dank, malarial summer of Baton Rouge.
Baton Rouge has, of course, been a total mind-fuck the past year and a half and I wouldn't trade my time here for anything. The crew of young, bright, degenerate journalists that hang out together down here is indescribable and I'm going to be very sad to leave them. I can only hope a similar crew crops up in Boise, or that I can sully enough once-pure young people to roughly recreate my situation.
Fear not, the blog will continue throughout my final few weeks on the bayou (I'm leaving sometime at the end of the month) and will be replaced in Idaho by an as-yet-unnamed blog that will be similarly clever and profane. I'll keep you posted as the Druz World Tour continues.
Comments:
<< Home
Druz! Congrats! That's fantastic news. Seeing as how there is now an official chapter of the Basement Reunion in Boise, I feel I may have to make a visit soon... What are you covering in Boise?
Post a Comment
<< Home
