Monday, February 21, 2005

 

Hunter S.

I got a call from Ryan around 10:30 tonight. "Dude, Hunter S. Thompson killed himself."

"Let's get a bottle of whisky. I'll be over in a second," I said.

So Ryan and I drove to the store to get liquor and mourn the man's death with an appropriate bender. Fittingly, I guess, we got to the gas station and were reminded by a Sheriff's Deputy there that on Sundays blue laws prevent you from buying hard alcohol.

"Fucking East Baton Rouge Parish," I said.

"Man, that's all over the country," the deputy said.

"No, I assure you that's not true," I ill-advisedly said.

"Maybe if you're buying something illegal," he replied.

Secure in the knowledge that the people charged with protecting me have never been out of East Baton Rouge Parish (you can buy hard alcohol in the next parish over), we settled on beer and took to the porch.

A toast to Gonzo journalism.
Comments:
Me talking to a colleague: Can you believe Hunter Thompson killed himself?

Befuddled colleague: Well ... yeah.

RIP Hunter. Your journalism was an inspiration to us all.

P.S. Fittingly Druz, we'll be spending a night at Circus Circus. A Hunter-esque tribute is in order, minus the cocaine and the thrashed room. We'll just add extra whiskey.
 
Minus the cocaine and the thrashed room? You're a disgrace.
 
Who is the Huner Thompson you speak of?
 
Who is this anonymous fool?
 
I have to agree with Eleeza on this one. I heard the news...thought briefly of Johnny Depp...and then shrugged - it did not seem implausible.
Now, if Johnny Depp shoots himself in the head, there will be wailing in the street.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?