Saturday, November 27, 2004

 

Two brushes with fame

I've been out of town for Thanksgiving, but I'm back, so you can stop weeping and cursing the cruelty of a Druz-less life.

Last week was eventful. First, I went to a local bar to catch a band from California called Earlimart. They were rumored to be both good (they were) and friends with Johnny Knoxville (of Jackass fame for those clearly not cool enough to be reading this blog). I was skeptical of the latter but, as I walked into the bar, I ran into the man himself and shook the visionary's hand (I didn't wash it for a week).

Why would Mr. Jackass himself grace south Louisiana with his presence? He, along with Stifler and Jessica Simpson, is filming the Dukes of Hazzard movie in the tiny town of Clinton, about 45 minutes north of Baton Rouge. Having had a few beers, I approached him after the show, gave him my business card and told him that if he had the time I would like to do an interview for the newspaper. He introduced me to his manager, Crash, who gave me his cell phone number (I still have yet to test said number's authenticity).

And that was just the beginning of my star-studded week. On Saturday, I went to the last night at Tabby's Blues Box, the center of the local blues scene for decades. It was packed (even the mayor showed), they ran out of beer twice and the place rocked until after 3 a.m. The highlight of the night was a performance by Tabby's son, Chris Thomas King (of Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?). For me though, the highlight had to be walking into the bathroom and peeing next to Chris Thomas King (no, I did not sneak a peek). Who knew that Baton Rouge was the Hollywood of the South?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?