Sunday, September 26, 2004
Fucking tree huggers
Once again I have one-upped JoeJa. He may have gone up in a 1955 Cessna to look for phantom wolves, but I flew in a restored 1941 Waco bi-plane yesterday for an assignment. It was a lot of fun, although hitting turbulence in a 63-year-old plane with a 73-year-old pilot is a little frightening.
As we were climbing over Point Coupee Parish (population: not many), we flew over vast, swampy forest surrounding the Mississippi and the pilot, Al, said, "I like to take the tree huggers up here so they can see all the trees." Unsure of exactly what he may have meant, I let it go. He later made clear what he meant when, pointing to a tree farm, he said, "See all those planted pines? There's no shortage of trees."
Rush Limbaugh would be proud: "Do you know we have more acreage of forest land in the United States today than we did at the time the constitution was written." (Radio show, 2/18/94)
As we were climbing over Point Coupee Parish (population: not many), we flew over vast, swampy forest surrounding the Mississippi and the pilot, Al, said, "I like to take the tree huggers up here so they can see all the trees." Unsure of exactly what he may have meant, I let it go. He later made clear what he meant when, pointing to a tree farm, he said, "See all those planted pines? There's no shortage of trees."
Rush Limbaugh would be proud: "Do you know we have more acreage of forest land in the United States today than we did at the time the constitution was written." (Radio show, 2/18/94)
Comments:
<< Home
I went up on a sessna once, and although I ahve no idea how old it was, the pilot let me control it for a bit and that, i believe tops all. ALso it was mondavi's opening day. so i could have crashed the plane into the mondavi. but i am a weak sauce wannabe rookie and you guys rock.
Thanks, h-bomb jr., but I'm going to have to ask you to refrain from emoticoning on TOJECC. It's just poor form.
Oh Heath, I can do your hating tree huggers story one better...
Up here in the wilds of Northeastern Arizona there was a big ass fire about two and a half years ago. It burned up big swaths of forest, including the neighborhood where we live. Consequently there are acres upon acres of standing but dead and blackened trees. Cajun style pinon pine. It looks like a field of spent matchsticks.
Along the highway on the way up here from Phoenix there is a big billboard that tallies the amount of acreage burned in the fire and then in BIG letters across the bottom says, Thanks to the environMENTALists.
Also, there are commemorative T-shirts from the fire that say on the front:
The Rodeo-Chediski Fire: The largest ever spotted owl BBQ
And on the back:
It really does taste just like Chicken!
with the requisite redneck eating a skewered owl picture.
Hilarious.
Post a Comment
Up here in the wilds of Northeastern Arizona there was a big ass fire about two and a half years ago. It burned up big swaths of forest, including the neighborhood where we live. Consequently there are acres upon acres of standing but dead and blackened trees. Cajun style pinon pine. It looks like a field of spent matchsticks.
Along the highway on the way up here from Phoenix there is a big billboard that tallies the amount of acreage burned in the fire and then in BIG letters across the bottom says, Thanks to the environMENTALists.
Also, there are commemorative T-shirts from the fire that say on the front:
The Rodeo-Chediski Fire: The largest ever spotted owl BBQ
And on the back:
It really does taste just like Chicken!
with the requisite redneck eating a skewered owl picture.
Hilarious.
<< Home

