Tuesday, September 21, 2004

 

Cowboy hats, pain, Sack Face

I spent the past weekend sweating my balls off in the Texas hill country, staring at other, more attractive sweaty people at the Austin City Limits music festival. I can now tell you three things: 1. cute girls + cowboy hats + 98 degree heat = pleasant diversion from a mediocre Modest Mouse performance. 2. Six people is too many to travel with. 3. Cold beer is 10,000 times better after a four mile walk in flip flops.

Steve the Stewardess, my fellow cops reporter, Josh "Maurice" Noel, and Sack Face, a former Advocate reporter, met up the first night and all was well. Beer was consumed, bullshit was talked and everyone was happy.

The first day of the fest, however, was a disaster. We didn't see the bands we wanted to see, feelings were hurt when our group got separated and we left the show at about 9:30 p.m. sober and grumpy. The highlight was when Sack Face got lost and the rest of us were yelling at the top of our lungs in a crowd of about 75,000, "Sack Face! Sack Face!"

Our moods only got better when got outside the grounds to see the 10,000 (really) people in line for taxis. Following some good advice from a local we walked the three miles downtown - in flip flops after spending 7 hours walking around in the sun.

After seeing the half of the show we didn't miss we mercifully made it to a bar and sat down for what is one of the top five most enjoyable beers of my life.

Everything got better from there, although I must admit this trip was by far the most sober I've ever been hanging out with Steve, which I am not proud of. Other than missing out on getting hammered, the food was good, the scenery was better and the music was plentiful.
Comments:
While the soberness is disappointing, you can make up for it by telling me you saw the Pixies. I heard they rocked Austin City Limits. I saw them Thursday at the Greek in Hollywood. Kim Deal is hot.
 
I've got to agree with Steve-O (someone who definitely knows about fatties), Kim Deal's added a little chunk in her old age. But the Pixies did rock my nuts off.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?