Monday, September 27, 2004

 

Birthing the baby

For the past two months, I have been following around a family of Liberian refugees who arrived in July to settle in Baton Rouge (yes, apparently the Sierra Leone refugee camp where they were living is even worse than Baton Rouge). I met them as they stepped off the plane and have kept up with them ever since. The story finally came out today, on the front page of The Advocate and I am more than a little relieved. It was, unquestionably, the most rewarding story I have ever reported and there's the added bonus that, as far as I can tell, it didn't get fucked up going from my computer through the metro editors and the copy desk and finally to the newspaper. It's a fairly long story to read on-line, but I would like to hear what you think, so check out the link when you have a few minutes.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/092704/new_liberia001.shtml
Comments:
Awesome story, Druz. I like the idea of following a refugee family and their experiences in an unfamiliar land. Very cool.
 
Wasn't there a meeting you could have covered instead? This story is a mortal shame.

-- Carl R.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?