Tuesday, May 18, 2004

 

Life After 50

My career reached its nadir recently. I was sent to cover the The Advocate Presents the Life After 50 Expo. It's bad enough to have to cover a company blowjob, but it's even worse when the most exciting attraction is a Tea Party seminar whose presenters suggest with straight faces going to Target and buying the worst kind of kitsch junk imaginable with which to set the table and pass it off as cute (to oohs and ahs, no less).

Between that and the free diabetes tests it was exactly the kind of assignment I've dreamed of.

The best part about the Over 50 Expo? An ambulance next to the entrance, ready to go just in case.

Somebody please tell me that somehow there is a logical transition from that to celebrated foreign correspondent. Anyway, it was one of the less memorable articles I have written but would have been much better if I had stuck with my original lede:

Throngs of people staring death squarely in the face shuffled past a waiting ambulance and inched their walkers into the C.B. Pennington Jr. Center Saturday for the Life After 50 Expo.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?