Tuesday, March 02, 2004
Springtime for Druzin in Baton Rouge
It was humid and in the mid-70s in Baton Rouge today, the first time Spring has broken through after a cool and rainy winter.
As I was walked home tonight, my neighborhood exploded in sound, all of the dormant insects emerging from winter with a vengeance. Walking down Spanish Town Road toward my apartment it sounded like the hum of one's nervous system with amp cranked to 11. It felt like I was in some movie set in the Deep South in summertime and I suddenly felt the urge to grab a mint julip, sit on the porch and fan myself languidly.
Instead, to usher in Spring today, I took JoeJa and Alison, who came down for a whirlwind trip, canoeing on the bayou. Apparently the alligators took the same cue as the insects and came out to enjoy the weather because we saw two huge gators chilling on the shoreline in no rush to do much of anything.
It was certainly not the puke-in-a-pile-of-garbage-bags-on-Bourbon-Street visit that was Steve and Brett's trip, but it was just right after my near liquid diet for several during Mardi Gras.
As I was walked home tonight, my neighborhood exploded in sound, all of the dormant insects emerging from winter with a vengeance. Walking down Spanish Town Road toward my apartment it sounded like the hum of one's nervous system with amp cranked to 11. It felt like I was in some movie set in the Deep South in summertime and I suddenly felt the urge to grab a mint julip, sit on the porch and fan myself languidly.
Instead, to usher in Spring today, I took JoeJa and Alison, who came down for a whirlwind trip, canoeing on the bayou. Apparently the alligators took the same cue as the insects and came out to enjoy the weather because we saw two huge gators chilling on the shoreline in no rush to do much of anything.
It was certainly not the puke-in-a-pile-of-garbage-bags-on-Bourbon-Street visit that was Steve and Brett's trip, but it was just right after my near liquid diet for several during Mardi Gras.