Thursday, January 15, 2004
Dean, midgets
I try to keep this blog about Louisiana and, more importantly, me, but the Democratic circus in Iowa bears a comment (though, to keep it regional here's the view from the deep South: if Howard Dean - or "that liberal, Yankee, homo-lover" as he is affectionately referred to by some in Louisiana - gets the nomination expect solid red throughout the Sun Belt come election day).
I think the highlight from the last week was Al Sharpton, who provides comedic relief rivaled only by John Kerry's chin. When the good reverand took on Dean for lack of minorities in his cabinet while governor of Vermont I thought American political debate had reached a new low.
What should be frightening for the Doc's supporters was the self-styled straight shooter's lame, almost stuttering response and then sort-of apology. He should have simply given Sharpton the finger.
I did the math and, to get a representative portion of African-Americans in the 5-member Vermont cabinet you would need to multiply 5 by 0.5 percent (the portion of black residents in the Green Mountain State), which leaves you with 0.025 brothers in the cabinet, or that midget from Bad Santa post-amputations.
Now that would be some hardcore affirmative action.
I think the highlight from the last week was Al Sharpton, who provides comedic relief rivaled only by John Kerry's chin. When the good reverand took on Dean for lack of minorities in his cabinet while governor of Vermont I thought American political debate had reached a new low.
What should be frightening for the Doc's supporters was the self-styled straight shooter's lame, almost stuttering response and then sort-of apology. He should have simply given Sharpton the finger.
I did the math and, to get a representative portion of African-Americans in the 5-member Vermont cabinet you would need to multiply 5 by 0.5 percent (the portion of black residents in the Green Mountain State), which leaves you with 0.025 brothers in the cabinet, or that midget from Bad Santa post-amputations.
Now that would be some hardcore affirmative action.