Sunday, January 25, 2004
Bucket O' Savior
The other day I was driving down the notoriously crime-ridden Plank Road on my way to one of my favorite Southern heart attack food joints (all the good fried shit is in the 'hood). It's called Tony's Seafood and right over their tank of live catfish is a sign that reads, "Swimming on this end, fried on the other end."
I'm a fan of the three vegetable plate, mostly because among the "vegetable" choices is mac and cheese. Not many people know about the elusive macaroni bush as it has been the victim of deforestation and overharvesting by poachers from Kraft.
Anyway, on the way to Tony's I passed some great reminders that I, indeed, live in south Louisiana.
First, two handwritten signs for, I am not kidding, "Fresh Coon." Mmmm. As if that wasn't cool enough, I was then approached by a large woman with unfortunate teeth soliciting donations with a bucket that had "Jesus" scrawled on the side. I thought about it for a moment and came to the conclusion that the son of God probably makes a little bit more (or at least has better benefits) than an entry-level cops reporter at a mid-size newspaper.
Sorry Jesus, you're on your own.
I'm a fan of the three vegetable plate, mostly because among the "vegetable" choices is mac and cheese. Not many people know about the elusive macaroni bush as it has been the victim of deforestation and overharvesting by poachers from Kraft.
Anyway, on the way to Tony's I passed some great reminders that I, indeed, live in south Louisiana.
First, two handwritten signs for, I am not kidding, "Fresh Coon." Mmmm. As if that wasn't cool enough, I was then approached by a large woman with unfortunate teeth soliciting donations with a bucket that had "Jesus" scrawled on the side. I thought about it for a moment and came to the conclusion that the son of God probably makes a little bit more (or at least has better benefits) than an entry-level cops reporter at a mid-size newspaper.
Sorry Jesus, you're on your own.