Tuesday, December 16, 2003
End of an era
Those of you who have known me for a while are probably familiar with my well-traveled wallet. Duct-taped and faded I have carried that thing around since I got it for my bar-mitzvah and some of the stray pieces of paper and Giants tickets in there are probably as old as the wallet. Well, now that I have a "real job" which involves dealing with the public and convincing them to talk to me, I can't really look like, you know, a homeless person.
Sadly, every time I pull out my wallet at an interview (when I meet a source for lunch, give someone my card or simply bribe them) I get this puzzled look which is either pity or revulsion, neither of which is really conducive to a good interview.
So today, with a heavy heart, I bought a new wallet. Seriously, I nearly cried.
And it already feels unnatural against my right cheek.
Sadly, every time I pull out my wallet at an interview (when I meet a source for lunch, give someone my card or simply bribe them) I get this puzzled look which is either pity or revulsion, neither of which is really conducive to a good interview.
So today, with a heavy heart, I bought a new wallet. Seriously, I nearly cried.
And it already feels unnatural against my right cheek.