Friday, December 05, 2003
Being an intern is:
Covering the downtown Nativity scene.
And Santa riding on top of a fire truck, and the Mayor turning on the city Christmas tree lights, and the lighting of the giant menorah - gotcha. Yes, it was the whatever annual downtown Festival of Lights (hmmm, that sounds familiar), a stab at holiday secularism sunk by the live Nativity (with real livestock!), blaring Christian pop and crusifiction reenaction (just kidding).
Anyway, it was cold, windy and beginning to feel a lot like a disgruntled reporter, but I slogged it out and resisted the urge to tell children Santa isn't real and let their parents explain.
So I finally finished and turned in the story. My editor's response? "Not bad for a Jewish kid." I like him.
And Santa riding on top of a fire truck, and the Mayor turning on the city Christmas tree lights, and the lighting of the giant menorah - gotcha. Yes, it was the whatever annual downtown Festival of Lights (hmmm, that sounds familiar), a stab at holiday secularism sunk by the live Nativity (with real livestock!), blaring Christian pop and crusifiction reenaction (just kidding).
Anyway, it was cold, windy and beginning to feel a lot like a disgruntled reporter, but I slogged it out and resisted the urge to tell children Santa isn't real and let their parents explain.
So I finally finished and turned in the story. My editor's response? "Not bad for a Jewish kid." I like him.