Monday, November 24, 2003
Y'all eat chicken, right?
One of the reporters I work with is vegan. Being vegan in Louisiana is kind of like being a Republican in Berkeley - people scratch their heads at you and then pity you for going so terribly astray. Ask if there are any vegetarian items on the menu and your server will squint and quickly respond, "Well, y'all eat chicken, right?" She will then proceed to accidently serve you a hamburger and suggest you pick out the meat.
I'm not sure how a vegan avoids starvation, let alone malnutrition.
"Uh, yeah, I'll have the chicken and sausage jambalaya (only non-meat item: rice) - hold the chicken and sausage."
I guess it's a good way to find out what living off of UN food drops is like, but otherwise I don't recommend it.
I'm not sure how a vegan avoids starvation, let alone malnutrition.
"Uh, yeah, I'll have the chicken and sausage jambalaya (only non-meat item: rice) - hold the chicken and sausage."
I guess it's a good way to find out what living off of UN food drops is like, but otherwise I don't recommend it.