Monday, November 03, 2003

 

Timeline of a friendship

As I have stated before, my work schedule runs Wed-Sun, so I used my Saturday (today) to explore this great state of Louisiana. I went down to the coast to a small state park consisting of a boat launch, man-made beach and several bayous running into the Gulf of Mexico.

As I walked near the water's edge on my way to a reading spot I was greeted by a friendly fisherman.

"Hey man, whatchu doin' here, just enjoying the water?" he asked.

"Yes sir, just down here on my day off. What are you catchin' out here?" I responded, feeling this could be one of those chance encounters that flowers into an interesting, educational experience and a great story.

"Oh, you know, flounder, trout, redfish, but not much bitin' today. What's that you readin'?"

"It's a Robert Penn Warren novel," I said.

"Oh, I thought you was readin' the bible."

Thus, the friendship was over.

However, the rest of my trip to what felt like the end of the Earth (I saw nearly as many alligators as people) was successful. That question that's been keeping you up at nights? You know what I'm talking about, that piece of information that will make you complete again? Right, the location of the Tabasco factory. Well, ponder no longer. After taking a free tour I can say with confidence that everyone's favority crimson-red ambrosia is processed on Avery Island and that it is a shitty tour.

Also note my creeping Southern-ness, y'all: today I had a bowl of gumbo with a side of fried okra for lunch before seeing my first wild alligator and (dead) armadillo.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?