Saturday, November 15, 2003
My unwanted bindi (look it up)
I got a pimple today. A nice big red one, complimented by a second, smaller pimple higher up and to the right. It's not like I had a date or any afterwork activities other than drinking at The Thirsty Tiger (good skin, full set of teeth not required) but I daily battle to gain respect from people I interview, being the youngest reporter at the paper by quite a few years. So, while investigating some armed robberies at a predominantly black college today I was not only hampered by the predictable what's-this-white-boy-snooping-around-here-for? looks, but added to that, compliments of my pimple and boyish good looks I got what's-this-pubescent-white-boy-wasting-my-time-for? looks, too.
Talking to chancellor of student affairs I could see his eyes swing immediately to my forehead and the expression on his face unmistakably read, "Shouldn't you be in class right now?"
I suppose I will all too soon look back fondly on such youthful blemishes, along with my now full head of hair (apologies to balding friends, but I'll be there soon enough) and ability to achieve erections. For now, though, it's just irritating.
Talking to chancellor of student affairs I could see his eyes swing immediately to my forehead and the expression on his face unmistakably read, "Shouldn't you be in class right now?"
I suppose I will all too soon look back fondly on such youthful blemishes, along with my now full head of hair (apologies to balding friends, but I'll be there soon enough) and ability to achieve erections. For now, though, it's just irritating.